Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Reward Charts

I know there are some people don't like the idea of using reward charts. They think children should not be trained like pets. However, reward charts are effective tools for me to teach my children the rules in the house.

My two daughters love to check their charts and count the stickers they have received every morning after breakfast. I especially enjoy watching my two year old daughter counting her bear stickers with excitement.
  

I made a very simple chart with Microsoft Word, and I had my daughters  decorate their own charts. When they complete a task ,such as cleaning the table or putting away the toys, I give them a sticker and have them stick on their charts by themselves. 

Using a reward chart, they not only learn to obey the rules, they also learn how to count and be patient until they fill the whole chart then they can get their treats. Yes, they do things for incentives with the reward charts now, but I believe it will eventually become habits for them as I continually give them positive feedbacks.

Last time, my daughters  asked for going to Molly fantasy (a kid's indoor entertainment center) as the reward, and they tried to be good and helpful so they could get all the bears. Finally, they managed to collect all the 40 bears in one week so my husband took they to the center as promised on one Saturday when he was off from work. This time, they are asking for a balloon party and party hats as the reward, and they are half way there already! Good job, my kids!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment